CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Oh, free stuff.

Who doesn't like free stuff?  I was very excited to see Chick-Fil-A is having "free" Tuesdays.  Each Tuesday, during normal breakfast hours, they are giving away either a chicken biscuit or chicken mini's depending on which Tuesday it is.  

I thought I could sneak one past my kids yesterday.  We got ready for swim practice which included breakfast for everybody but me.  I had a plan. We drove over to Athens and dropped Hayden off at the pool.  I was on my way.  Ally would be busy playing her DS and the boys wouldn't really pick up on what I was doing except maybe for wanting a drink.  I knew early on this was not go to go over like I had planned.

Ally habitually leaves her DS on.  I think it is so she can pick up from where she left the game or maybe she just likes to make me crazy.  Usually when we load up to go somewhere, Ally is in the car, then out looking for her DS, then back in the car, then back out looking for a particular game, then back in the car, then back out looking for the charger.  Eventually we can leave after Ally has found all her items for a short ride in the car, thoroughly aggravated me, irritated Hayden because at some point Ally went in her room looking for a game and driven the boys nuts waiting in the car.  

Tuesday was no different except that Ally did not retrieve her charger.  The DS was dead.  Thus begins the questioning.  "Where are we going?"(A)  "I need to run an errand"(M) "Why can't I just stay at the pool?"(A)  Because you run around like a hooligan and I don't want you to get in trouble without me there.  It will only take a couple of minutes."(M)  "My stomach hurts."(A)  "It is just up here."(M)  "Are we all going in?"(A)  "Nobody's going in."(M)  "Just you?"(A) "I'm not going in, just in the drive thru."(M)  "I'm hungry."(A)  "OK, I'll get you a little something."(M)  "I'm tired of being in the car, you said it would only take a couple of minutes and it's been longer. "(A)  "Ally, just listen to the radio."(M)  "Can you turn the radio off, it hurts my stomach."(A).  "OK"(M)  "Why are you making me ride with you? I would behave at the pool.  I was going to read a chapter of my book.  Now I won't be able to read a chapter like you want me too.  I can't read in the car because my stomach hurts."(A)  "Ally, lay your head back and listen to the music."(M)  "I don't like this song, can you find another?"(A)  "Yes"(M)  "I really am tired of riding"(A)  "Ally, no more talking.  Listen to the music"(M)

We arrive at Chick-Fil-A.  Yeah, the line at the drive thru is small.  I pull up to order.  "Ally, what do you want?"(M)  "mm wwwt cchchchin mmmminns"(A) "Ally, you can talk now.  What do you want?(M)  "I want chicken minis"(A)  Thus began the chorus of "I want chicken minis".  

"Welcome to Chick-Fil-A.  Can I take your order?"

"Yes.  I came today to get a free chicken biscuit.  I thought I could sneak it by my kids, but apparently I can't.  Therefore, I would like 4 orders of chicken minis at the tune of $2.09 each, a large lemonade because I refuse to buy 5 drinks and so we can all share and scream about it and 1 chicken biscuit that is regularly $1.99, but today costs nothing."

"Please pull forward, Ma'am."

So after I drove an extra 10 miles round trip from the pool to Chick-Fil-A, fought with Ally and actually made her cry, showed my very sarcastic side to a very nice elderly lady at the drive-thru and dropped $11 and change for a free breakfast, here is what my sweet Hayden had to say about her breakfast.

"Mom, thanks for the chicken minis, but because of how I like to eat them, I really need the pack with 4 in there.  But, Mom, what I really like better is the chicken biscuit."



No comments: