CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, December 31, 2009

The audition.

I like taking Ally to auditions. Partly because I like watching her show her true self and how uninhibited she can be. The other reason is because I love watching "theater" families.

Last nights audition for "Mulan Jr." was no exception. And I have a witness this time. I won't mention her name here, but she can verify what I'm about to tell you is true and accurate. She didn't get to see it all, but what she did see was enough. Right Julia?

The audition was at a small theater known for their musicals. It is a children's musical, so there were lots of kids ranging from 5 to 17. They grouped the kids into 3 groups: young, middle and older. Ally was in the younger group of 5 year olds to 7 year olds. They were all called up front and the student director randomly drew their names. Ally was first. She sang her song and then chose to do something "spontaneous" with the director. I know that I am prejudiced, but she did great. We are not singers. However, she was smiley and showed a lot of character for her age.

Within her group was a little girl that I think was 5. She gave her music to the pianist and prepared to sing. The pianist started and the little girl stood there. "Is this the wrong speed?" asked the pianist. The mother stood up, shook her head disapprovingly, and booted the pianist off the piano. "Let me just play it for her." Ok lady, you've got my attention. The little girl sang her song and did something next. I can't really recall because I was trying to remember if this was the same lady that was in that Lifetime show about the cheerleader thing in Texas. You know the one where the Mother was jealous that the other girl got on the squad and her daughter didn't so she killed the other girl. Something like that . I don't watch that channel, I just remember some commercial about it.

After all the little kids finished they were sent to the back room to learn a dance. The director made the statement that the girl teaching the dance could use one Mom back there to help with crowd control. Guess who jumped up. Well I've gotta see this. So I jumped up too.

Once back in the room the girl started teaching and the Momma started dancing. She was learning it too. After a couple of run thru's, the Momma wanted some clarification on some of the moves. Was it the right foot first or left? Do you punch on Queen or dancing? Do you lean over 45 degrees or 52 degrees? Then she proceeded to correct her daughter. Did I mention her daughter was 5? They had all of 5 minutes to learn it. They had to wait 20 minutes to perform it. They are nervous too. I'm just guessing here, but all they can possibly hope for is a little rhythm and for the kids to not fall on their faces.

The kids finally went up to perform and all went well. I know there were 2 disappointed people in the crowd. Me, because I really wanted her to jump up and dance with her kid and her, because I know deep down she really wanted to jump up and dance with her kid.

No comments: